Value to Patrons
The Value to Patrons report calculates what a library card is worth by counting the number of items that have circulated, broken down by item type, and multiplying those numbers by the replacement cost (per the Policies & Procedures Manual) for each item type.
The numbers are also broken down depending on whether the items were borrowed from the patrons' library or from the rest of BCCLS. The tab for each library shows the number of items per collection/material type/shelf location (1) in your library, (2) from the rest of BCCLS, and (3) in total that were borrowed by your patrons.
The summary pages (a running 12 Month Value, Year-to-Date, and Monthly Summary) includes 4 sections that each include 3 columns:
- In House (columns B,C,D) – How many of your unique patrons (B) checked out (not renewed) how many of your unique items (C) and the total value those patrons enjoyed (D)
- Rest-of-BCCLS (columns E,F,G) - how many of your unique patrons (E) checked out (not renewed) how many unique items from the rest of BCCLS (F) and the total value those patrons enjoyed (G)
- Total (columns H,I,J) - how many of your unique patrons (H) borrowed how many unique items from all of BCCLS (including your library) (I) and the total value your patrons enjoyed (J)
- Average Value/Patron (columns K,L,M) - the average value, per library card, that is delivered to your patrons from your library (K), the rest of BCCLS (L), and the average value that your patrons receive from all of BCCLS (including your library) (M)
Details You Should Know:
- Renewals do not contribute towards this report.
- If an item is deleted from the database before the report is run, the counts will remain, but the value (dollar amount) will be lowered.
- If a patron borrows an in-house item and an out-of-town item, they will be counted once in each appropriate column. They will only be counted once for the “total” column. Therefore, the count given in column H is not the addition of the values given in columns B and E, but a separate figure.